Friday, June 22, 2012

Doing Laundry

So, you would think doing laundry is pretty self-explanatory...it's not. Here in Greece the laundry machines are a bit, shall we say, different. You have to pick the speed of the cycle and there are all kinds of different buttons with pictures and it is just much more complicated. It was the hardest thing to just figure out which machine was dryer and which one was a washer. For me this was the oddest thing, because I am just use to having the presets on my washer at home. At first I didn't understand why this would be necessary, presets are just so much easier. Then I thought about it and realized that the Greeks are more conscious of nature and their abuse of it. Greece is a very dry climate and they do not have a great access to water. They actually have a shortage of water, so things like the washing machines have a variety of settings to make it the most efficent. In other words, there are more customizable settings so you aren't wasting a lot of water on a small load.

I think I've figured out the laundry process now and it shouldn't pose much of a challenge any longer. I have also gone grocery shopping and made a nice home cooked meal. I really enjoy the culture here of having grocery stores, bakeries and all the other shops conveniently placed. I can literally walk to the grocery store and just buy food for the day. I don't have to plan a head and buy food for the whole week.

Tomorrow we will be going to Delphi and it should be a great trip. I will be posting pictures and another entry tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment